1 Whole Chicken
100 grams Rice
To Taste Salt
To Taste Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Place the Chicken and whole peeled Onion in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down to a low simmer. Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Cover the soup and simmer until the chicken meat is falling off the bone, (depending on weight, about 2 hours or more).
2. Remove the chicken from the saucepan and set aside.
3. Strain the broth (discarding the Onion), return to the pan, and bring back to the boil. Add the rice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Reduce heat, and simmer until the rice is done, approximately 20 minutes; then remove from the heat.
4. While the rice is cooking, bone the chicken and cut the meat into pieces.
5. In a mixing bowl, beat or whisk the egg whites until foamy. (If using an electric mixer, use speed 3.) Beat in egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of water and the juice of the 2 lemons.
6. Very slowly start to add some of the hot broth to the egg and lemon mixture, beating (or whisking) continuously. If the hot liquid is added too quickly, the mixture will curdle.
7. When the mix is fully blended, stir the soup and pour in the egg-lemon mixture slowly. Shake the pot gently to distribute. Do not stir.
8. Add the chicken meat to the soup and serve.
Tip: Serve immediately.